Services For Franchisees
Starting a new franchise business and profitably expanding requires the right steps. At Duell | Law, we care about our clients and have the experience and know-how to address questions, solve problems and counsel franchisee clients in all areas of the franchise legal equation including dispute resolution. With 35 years of experience answering your franchise questions, Richard Duell has an extensive history representing both franchisors as well as franchisees, allowing him to foresee issues and offer more all-encompassing solutions that bring short and long-term benefits.
Through this knowledge, Duell | Law provides a broad range of services for franchisees, assisting single unit and multi-unit operators with:
- Comprehensive review and analysis of Franchise Disclosure Documents (FDD) and franchise agreements, reflecting potential areas a prospective Franchisee may negotiate, analyzing Franchisor’s non-compete provisions and the law chosen by the Franchisor.
- Business formation, beginning with the creation and structuring of the Franchisee entity, Operating Agreement and including the drafting of shareholder or membership agreements.
- Purchase of the franchise from an existing Franchisee, including advice on proper due diligence and areas of negotiation and preparation of transfer documents.
- Acquisition and development of multi-unit or area development and master franchise opportunities.
- The review and negotiation of Commercial Leases.
- Third-party agreements, including independent contractor, supplier, employment, confidentiality and non-compete agreements.
- Negotiations with Franchisors (including the negotiation of renewals of existing franchise agreements).
- Dispute resolution with Franchisors.
Acquiring or Renewing a Franchise (Including FDD and Lease Reviews)
If you are considering buying a franchise or are considering renewing your franchise, an experienced franchise lawyer can help protect you and provide the foundation for profitable expansion by reviewing the Franchise Disclosure Documents (FDD), negotiating the franchise agreement, assessing the business, reviewing and negotiating the lease, and providing day-to-day practical advice on how to most effectively launch or continue your franchise business. Over the years, Duell | Law has advised countless individuals and businesses acquiring franchised business opportunities in industries ranging from restaurants to professional and home-based services. In addition, we have worked with numerous Franchisors, creating their FDDs and advising them on how to set up their franchise systems. This gives us a unique perspective as we work with a prospective Franchisee.
With our vast franchise and leasing experience, Duell | Law can help franchise clients negotiate the best possible Commercial Lease terms while still satisfying the requirements of the franchisor.
We also assist existing Franchisees considering Renewing their franchised business upon expiration. For these clients, it is important to review the franchise agreement prior to expiration because Franchisees often have only a limited period within which to exercise their right to renew. In addition, we help clients understand the differences between their existing franchise agreement and the agreement required to be signed upon renewal, which often is totally different from their original agreement. We can also assist with negotiating the renewal agreement to help clients keep the benefit of their original bargain.
Acquiring Existing Franchised Businesses
Acquiring an existing franchise can have benefits beyond starting a new franchise. As a new franchise business owners, you can obtain existing customers and customer information, knowledgeable employees and a location already developed. This can provide a true turn-key operation. Our firm works with these franchise business owners in their negotiations and agreements with the franchise seller as well as those with the franchisor.
Franchisor Problems and Disputes
There are various claims filed between Franchisors and Franchisees, and a great deal is at stake. As a Franchisee you will benefit from working with an experienced franchise attorney. By taking early action, the negative effects of litigation can often be mitigated or even eliminated.
We take great pride in the skill, energy and level of personal service we can bring to your franchise legal matters. And we are very interested in learning more about you and helping you determine if we can be of assistance. Please take a minute to talk with us about your concerns. We’re here to listen. Whether you are a current franchisee or purchasing a franchise, just call 205-408-3025 or fill out the form below and see for yourself just how closely we engage ourselves in addressing the individual concerns of every client: